UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

Friday, June 12, 2009

Want a passport? Deliver Labour Leaflets!

I don't normally look at the Daily Mail, but I was just astonished to read this.

It now seems that 50 hours helping the Labour party deliver leaflets or stuff envelopes will help you to get a British passport.

Now don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of the idea of community service being used as a factor to help evidence a claim to citizenship, but it's just typical of Labour to be so prescriptive and set targets. And is it really voluntary work if you are doing it just to get something in return.

Well we know what the Daily Mail's agenda is (after all this is the paper that originally backed Hitler & Mussolini and praised Oswald Mosley with an article entitled "Hurrah for the Blackshirts") but lets look at this from the other end.

One of the biggest single casework issues MPs get are immigration and asylum issues. There is something very offensive about the idea that a politician could say to someone asking for their assistance, "Deliver leaflets for me and then I will help you get a passport."

I truly hope that no politician is temped to take advantage of this involuntary labour force to try and get their message out. I can think of few actions that could be more shameful to British politics.

No comments: